About Us

Rangaraya Medical College - History

Rangaraya Medical College was started as a private medical college in 1958. It was the result of dedicated efforts by Dr M V Krishnarao, who was a Minister of Education in the cabinet of Sri Rajaji in the composite Madras state. He was later joined by Colonel Dr D S Raju, M R C P, who was a personal physician of Sri NetajiSubhas Chandra Bose and later Deputy Minister of Defence and Health in the cabinet of Sri Jawaharlal Nehru. The Maharajah of Pithapuram gave consent to start the Medical College in an orphanage building complex being run by him on Pithapuram road of Kakinada.

A Society called ‘Kakinada Medical Education Society’ was registered on 16 April 1958 to oversee the starting of the Medical College by July 1958 with the core aims of providing Medical education, Medical research and Medical service.

Munificent donors of East and West Godavari donated liberally for this medical college, of which Sri MullapudiHarischandra Prasad donated Rs. 500,000/- magnanimously. In gratitude the Medical Education Society named the college after his Brother-in-law and Grandfather, as RANGARAYA Medical College.Sri KotamartiVenkanna donated 6 acres and 7 cents of land to locate the Men’s Hostel buildings.

The first Principal was Sri BasudevaNarayana, Eminent teacher of Physiology, Retired Vice-Chancellor of Patna University and Vice President of Indian Medical Council.

In June 1958, Andhra University gave permission for starting of the College for a period of two years.The college started on 17 September 1958  with the Introductory speech of Dr V S Krishna, Vice chancellor of Andhra University followed by the first lecture delivered by Sri GortiSankarabhanu, of the Chemistry department.

The Emblem of the college was designed by making minor changes to the emblem of the Andhra University. The inscription on it – ‘SarvesantuNiramaya’, was suggested by Sri SamavedamJanakiramaSastry. It was from the holy vedas, and means – let everybody become healthy.

Various lecture halls, galleries, canteen, Indoor and outdoor play courts, Guest house, Para-clinical block, Central library, Ladies’ and Mens’student hostels, staff quarters, and auditorium were constructed with public donations, and inaugurated between the years 1959 to 1972. Eminent personalities like Sri SarvepalliRadhakrishnan, Dr S P Sehegal, Sri NeelamSanjiva Reddy, DrSuseelanair, and Sri G M C Balayogi came to the college to Inaugurate the various buildings and facilities.

On 14 October 1959 Government of Andhra Pradesh notified the existing District Head Quarters Hospital in Kakinada as the Teaching Hospital attached to the Rangaraya Medical College.

Eminent artists likeSri MangalampalliBalamuralikrishnaparticipated in the college functions.

During the war with China the intake of students was increased from 100 to 150. This was later brought down to 100 in 1974.

World renown scientist Dr J B S Haldane donated his body to the Pathology department of this college for scientific research in 1964.

After 1964 the Medical Education Society transferred the management of the Medical college to Rangaraya Medical College administrating society.

During its tenure the Medical Education Society built the 3 storied Surgical block, Orthopaedics block, Cardiology block, the 3 storied Out patient block, and the 3 storied Clinical Biochemistry, Preventive medicine, and Microbiology block, and the Forensic medicine block of buildings. It has also built the Para clinical block for Pharmacology and Pathology departments, the main Library and lecture halls opposite the Government General Hospital. The hospital was reorganized with an expenditure of Rs.3,600,000/- and the bed strength was increased from 750 to 900. The Medical Education Society spent about Rs.2,500,000/-.

The development of the college continued as the student intake in Under-graduate and Post-graduate courses increased. In recent times, as the ratio of girl students increased the capacity of the Ladies hostel has been enhanced. A separate hostel was built for Post-graduate students. The bed strength of the hospital was also enhanced to fulfill MCI guidelines on student:bed ratio and also due to increased patient turnover, due to reasons like enhanced facilities to diagnose and treat patients, increased population and migration of people to urban areas.

A new block to house Casualty and Super-specialty departments and another block to house Radio therapy were also built.

The erstwhile prayer hall of the orphanage opposite the Main building of the college was converted into The Col. D S Raju Memorial college council hall where the donors names, photographs and other articles related to the college history were preserved.

The college celebrated its Silver jubilee in 1984 and the Golden Jubilee was celebrated with year long events starting from 24 February 2007 to January 2008. As a part of these celebrations Founders day was observed on 16 April 2007 when Founders of this college or their next of kin were invited, falicitated and presented with Mementos, and the past teachers of the institution were felicitated on 17 September 2007 in a function named ‘Guru poojotsavam’.

The college conducts Medical exhibitions regularly in which all the departments participate enthusiastically to educate the public. The last such Medical exhibition was held in December 2010.

Recent developments include separate buildings for PG Hostel, Internee hostel, UG and PG reading rooms, 24 hrsair conditioned reading room, various seminar halls and the Golden Jubilee library complex housing the Library, Digital library and a mini conference room.

Super-specialty courses were started in the year 2012

Under-graduate intake was enhanced from 150 to 200 students in the year 2013 with the permission of Medical Council of India.

Presentlythe college rates as one of the best in the country with full fledged faculty, buildings and equipment to conduct Under-graduate (200 seats), and Post-graduate (111 seats) courses in addition to Para medical (123 seats)courses in all sub specialties and 6 Super-specialty students.

A note on the teaching hospital:The Government General Hospital, Kakinada was located at a distance of 4 kilometers from the Main College Campus.It has a bed strength of 1100 with 6 OT complexes housing about 28 operating tables. it is an integrated complex of buildings housing the various clinical and Para-clinical departments for Preventive, Investigative, curative and palliative management of patients. It has all modern Investigative facilities like Spiral CT scan, and MRI scan in addition to routine Radiology, Pathology, Biochemical and Microbiology services. It has all advanced machines like Microprocessor controlled Ventilators, Dialysis unit, etc, in addition to a Liquid oxygen tank, well organized Blood bank facility with component separation facility and advanced cancer therapy units like Brachy therapy unit and Tele cobalt machine.

The college and the hospital are able to sustain and develop with times through dedicated efforts of not only of it’s staff and administrators but through constant support from not only the government funds, but also responsible people’s leaders (MPs and MLAs) who donated funds generously from their constituency funds, NGOs, and local and national Corporate bodies who always came forward with a helping hand to serve the society for it’s common good and in appreciation of the service being done by the college and the hospital in the fields of education and healthcare.