rmc

Toll Free: 18004252450


principalrmc1958@gmail.com


rmc
rmc

HISTORY OF OPTHOMOLOGY DEPARTMENT

Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada, East Godavari District was established in the year 1958, with an intake of 100 Undergraduate students per year, which has been enhanced to 150 students from 1999 and now enhanced to 200 students from 2016.
Department of Ophthalmology, Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada has started way back in 1958 at the Old Hospital Building which is adjacent to the New building at present. It was started with 2 Units in the Head Quarters Hospital which was upgraded to General Hospital by the Government on 14.10.1959 to serve as a Teaching Hospital attached to Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada.
The department was subsequently expanded to 3 Units . Dr.D.K.Rao Chair of Ophthalmology Unit(III Unit) was started from the year 1982.
Presently department is situated in the new Ophthalmology Building Block with one Male Ward, one Female Ward, one Postoperative ward, two Ophthalmic Operation Theatres, Postgraduates Seminar Hall and Library and Students experimental Operation Theatre. The OPD is located in main O.P.building of the Hospital adjacent to ENT and Dental OPDs.
The department of Ophthalmology is co-ordinating with the District Blindness Control of Society activities to achieve the goal in National Programme Control of Blindness.

The following eminent personalities Headed the department.


S.No. Name of the Professor & HOD Period
1 Dr.N.Venkata Rama Reddy 1961-65
2 Dr.Sundara Rama Sarma 1966-72
3 Dr.N.Bhindu Madhava Rao 1972-76
4 Dr.Rayaleswara Rao 1976-77
5 Dr.C.Rama Krishna Rao 1977
6 Dr.P.V.Reddy Naidu 1978-79
7 Dr.Sundara Rama Sarma 1980-83
8 Dr.S.Venkateswara Rao 1983-85
9 Dr. C..Mangaiah Sarma 1985-90
10 Dr.S.Venkateswara Rao 1990-97
11 Dr.K.N.Chinnayya Rao  1997-2000
12 Dr.O.Bhanumathi Devi 2000-2001
13 Dr.K.Sudhakara Reddy 2001-2004
14 Dr.V.Suryanarayana 2004-2005  
15 Dr.K.Srinivasa Rao 2005-2009
16 Dr.V.Murali Krishna 2010 – till to date